Robin's turkey sloppy joes
- 2 ounces extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 or 3 jalapenos diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 pounds lean ground turkey
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup yellow mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 8 to 10 soft hamburger buns
Set a large pan over medium-high heat and add olive oil. Add onions, jalapeno and garlic, season with salt and pepper and saute 5 minutes until translucent.
Add ground turkey and cook until done, breaking it up with a wooden spoon - about 7 to 10 minutes.
Add tomato paste and stir.
Add ketchup, mustard, cayenne, brown sugar, tomato paste, and wine. Stir everything to combine.
Reduce heat and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes.
Finish with a splash of red wine vinegar.
Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Feel free to use whatever ground meat that you want for these sloppy joes.