- 6 slices of white bread, toasted and dry
- 1 package dry onion soup mix
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 large egg
- 1 can cream of celery soup
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 12 ounce bag of cornbread stuffing mix (you'll only use about 2/3rds)
- 8 to 12 ounces of chicken or turkey broth
Toast all six slices of bread and crumble into a large bowl.
Add the onion soup mix, black pepper and poultry seasoning to the large bowl with the crumbled toast.
Crack one large egg and add it and both cans of soup to the bowl. Stir very well to combine everything.
Add 3/4ths of a 12 (or 14) ounce bag of cornbread stuffing mix.
Slowly add the broth a little at a time and stir it all together. Continue adding broth until mixture is moist and still firm but not soupy.
Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees F (175 C).
To an 8x8 or 9x9 pan, add your fully mixed ingredients
Bake 30 minutes. Check with a toothpick or knife after thirty minutes and if the middle is still wet and the toothpick or knife does not come out clean, add the pan back to the oven and cook for another five minutes.
Continue and repeat until the toothpick or knife comes out clean.
Let cook for 5 to 10 minutes and then serve.
You can scoop this dressing out with a spoon to serve and it will look more like traditional stuffing or dressing. But I personally like to cut squares of it for myself like you can see in the photo.