- 120 grams all-purpose flour (1 cup)
- 165 grams yellow cornmeal (or polenta - 1 cup)
- 30 grams white granulated sugar (2 tablespoons)
- 9 grams baking powder (optional - 2 teaspoons)
- 3 grams baking soda (1/2 teaspoon)
- 3 grams salt (1/2 teaspoon)
- 113 grams melted and slightly cooled butter (1 stick or 1/2 cup)
- 360 grams buttermilk (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 large eggs
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F (200 C).
Add a 9x9 baking pan (or cast iron skillet) to the preheating oven.
In a medium sized bowl, add all of your dry ingredients and stir well to combine.
Add the melted butter, buttermilk and 2 eggs to the dry ingredients and whisk to make sure everything is mixed up well. Try to ensure that there are no dry spots of flour or cornmeal in the batter.
Once the oven and pan are preheated, carefully remove pan and pour all of your batter into it.
Place the pan back into the oven and cook for 20 to 23 minutes. You can check for doneness with a knife or toothpick. Insert it into the middle of the cornbread and if it comes out clean without wet batter stuck to the knife/toothpick, everything should be done.
Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 or 10 minutes before slicing.
Store covered on your counter for four or five days.