Walking taco sub sandwich
This page may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Ingredients:Suburban taco seasoning
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1 teaspoon MSG (optional)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced (1/4 of an onion per sandwich)
- 1 pound ground beef or ground turkey (1/4 pound per sandwich)
- taco seasoning (from above)
- 4 to 8 cheddar cheese slices
- cooked ground meat and cheese (from above)
- lettuce, shredded
- 1 tomato, diced
- 4 to 8 tablespoons sour cream
- 4 to 8 tablespoons guacamole (optional)
- salsa, hot sauce or taco sauce
- Fritos or another brand corn chips
- 4 five- to six-inch sub rolls
Suburban taco seasoning: combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir to mix everything up nicely.
Transfer to a jar or container with a lid.
Cook the ground meat and onions: place a large pan or griddle over medium-high heat. Add a tablespoon of olive oil or vegetable oil.
Once the oil is shimmering, add diced onions and cook for 2 minutes, stirring the onions occasionally.
After two minutes, add the ground meat on top of the onions. Season with a few dashes of your taco seasoning (at least a half teaspoon per sandwich) and cook until the meat has browned, and the onions are soft about 6 or 7 minutes.
When the ground meat is fully cooked and browned, separate the meat into four equal-sized portions and add your slices of cheese on top of the meat/onions and allow the cheese to soften for 2 minutes.
Chop the cheese: after the cheese is softened a little, using a spatula, stir the cheese into the meat and onions.
Sandwich assembly: split your roll and open it up. You can add condiments to the bread now or wait until the end.
Using your spatula, scoop the meat and cheese mixture into your split rolls.
Add shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, sour cream, guacamole, and salsa or hot sauce to the meat. All these ingredients are optional, so you can set them out in bowls and allow everyone to dress their own sandwich.
Sprinkle on some crunchy corn chips to top each sandwich and serve.