Super savory cheddar cheese biscuits
This page may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
6 to 8 biscuits
- 2.5 cups self-rising flour (300 g)
- 1 stick frozen butter (1/2 cup/227 g - grated on box grater)
- 1 cup cold buttermilk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (3 oz/85 g)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon MSG (optional)
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Grate frozen butter into the sifted self rising flour. Stir to combine until the butter is fully coated by flour.
- Add shredded cheddar cheese, garlic powder, onion powder and MSG (if using) to flour and butter mixture. Stir.
- Put bowl in freezer for 10 minutes
- Combine buttermilk to bring together as a dough. Stir no more than 15 times. Overworking the dough at this stage could cause your finished biscuits to be more tough.
- On a floured surface dump out dough and roll with a flour dusted rolling pin. Dust lightly with flour as needed when dough gets sticky. Fold the dough over on itself five different times creating layers.
- Roll dough to 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick.
- Cut biscuits into circles or squares and place on parchment paper lined baking sheet. When cutting, you do not want to twist the cutter. Twisting while cutting will ruin the layers that you created with folding.
- Placing your cut biscuits next to each other (touching) on the sheet pan will help them rise taller.
- Bake at 475 degrees for around 14 or 15 minutes. Might want to check around the 12 minute mark to make sure they're not browning too much. Everyone's oven is different.
- When biscuits are done, transfer them off of your baking pan onto a cooling rack to stop the bottoms from cooking further. Paint or spoon the melted butter over the tops of each biscuit while they are cooling.
The recipe calls for MSG but you can omit it if you want it will just lose a bit of savory intensity. Other types of cheese would work as well. Maybe a smoked gouda?