Monte Cristo sandwich
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 cup milk (whole, 2%, skim or even almond works fine)
- salt and black pepper
- 2 slices of bread (I like challah or brioche for this sandwich)
- mayonnaise and/or mustard (both optional)
- 2 to 4 slices of ham
- 1 to 2 slices of Swiss cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
- strawberry or raspberry preserves or jam (optional)
- powdered sugar (optional)
In a bowl or dish that is large enough to hold one piece of bread, crack and add one whole egg and add 1/4 cup milk. Season the egg and milk with a pinch of salt and black pepper.
Stir to combine well.
Add condiments to inside of two slices of bread.
Add slices of ham and cheese and sandwich the meat and cheese between both slices.
Add one small pat of butter to a large pan or griddle over medium heat. While the butter is warming and melting, dunk your sandwich into the egg and milk mixture.
When butter is fully melted and it is foaming in the pan, remove your sandwich from the egg and milk mixture and place it on top of the melted butter on the warm pan or griddle.
Cook for 2 or 3 minutes and flip.
Cook for another 2 or 3 minutes. Continue flipping and cooking until both sides of sandwich are golden brown.
Serve sandwich with a side of fruit jam (for dipping/spreading) and optionally sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.